Thursday, November 12, 2009

Of falling stars and pockets


Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day



Even the worst days have something to cherish about them. Something good. A perfect sunset, an old, old friend calls after ages, a sudden shower of rain which awakens the dormant senses of the earth and cleanses you within and without. Somewhere, somehow the world is never bereft of beauty at any point of our existence. Yesterday had to be one of the worst days I’ve had in my 26 years. As most 26-year-really-feeling-olds are, I’m plagued by the insecurities of existence – career, marriage, children, where is this going, will I-won’t I, have i-haven’t I, will we-won’t we, I’m sick of this but am I brave enough to let go this, maybe-maybe not, I’m running out of time, if I’m not behind the wheel, who is! And yesterday all these questions decided to form a psycho-tsunami inside me. And everything I knew, invested dreams in, wanted, hoped for teetered on the edge of a precipice of infinite fathoms. I was weighted down by the overpowering hand of hopelessness and GOD IN HEAVEN I wanted to curl up something, anything and smoke it for the desperate life of me. (Ha ha, bet you thought I wanted to curl up and die) But smoking is not an option, thanks to my severe allergies. To make things infinitely worse I had a constellation of pimples taking shape on my forehead. Feeling low and feeling ugly is by far an unhealthier combination than Mentos and Coca Cola.
Salvation comes pink and beautiful in the form of someone who I have grown very fond of in the recent future. My own stranger buddy tells me that the director of a film I had reviewed in the previous post has commented. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
From there my day took off. How often do you get a director taking the time to tell you thanks! It was overwhelming. It was brilliant. It was heady. My own falling star. God couldn’t have engineered yesterday any better. Well it could have, but let’s not pee on my parade shall we. So it’s eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and more eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and still more eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Happieeeeeeeeness!
That felt good. And so I’m pocketing this little bit of starlight, because I want to remember good things can happen even in the worst of times.


For love may come
And tap you on the shoulder one starless night
Just in case you feel that you wanna hold her
You’ll find a pocketful of starlight


Some of us call it prayer. Some of us call it optimism. Some of us call it a cigarette. But there’s something that takes us from stage one to stage two. Whatever be the catharsis crutch, it’ll get us by. Our own pocketful of starlight.


For when your troubles start multiplyin,
An' they just might!
It’s easy to forget them without tryin,
With just a pocketful of starlight!


Sooner or later life’s going to spit on my face again. Something’s going to make me cry. But like the rest of the world, I have to keep pace. To stop thinking that things aren’t fair and make the best of it. Like someone once said, you can’t recreate what just might have been. And until this very moment I was kicking my own ass for a lot of things – to count them would be a litany of absolute silliness. What I need now is to teach myself to love with arms wide open. To thank with joined hands. To smile with an open heart. And to embrace life tight, like it’s the one gift I’ve hankered for all my damn, well, life! To remember that I’d rather be hurt than live in the cold preservative comfort of complacence.
So this is my way of keeping this fistful of starlight so that I might remember that there’s always some reason to go on. That I’ll get to the end of the rainbow yet and I will find my pot of gold.


Enjoy this song at:
http://www.imeem.com/people/vyoB7p/music/k_OG9eJR/block-catch-a-falling-star/

I promise you, it’ll be worth your time.

3 comments:

Shalini Surendran said...

Dannie,

Beautifully said..!!! :) :)
...and 'Thanks' from the director - you totally deserves it, for such a piece of writing!


Cheers!

pink said...

ah, let's just say, you deserve it all sweetie!
:)
muah!

MissAnnThrope said...

:*