Tuesday, April 27, 2010

hero

Consider this a request from me, please watch Cinderella Man if you haven't watched it yet. It's a sacrament of a movie. And it got me in the gut. I know I'm really late on this bandwagon, but Lord, I'm glad I got on it. Russell Crowe is such a epiphany, even if he happens to be a badass one at that. I have no idea what it is about him, his rugged yumminess notwithstanding, that makes you believe him. The Cinderella Man, pugilist Jimmy Braddock who decided to take on the Great Depression in the ring. Jimmy Braddock who makes you believe in hope again. Jimmy Braddock who reminds you that you can only put up your best fight if you have someone to fight for. Jimmy Braddock who makes Johnny Bravos of all the fancy-pants heroes we have today.
The movie reminded me to be thankful for the things I have. And I have been jaded for a really, really long time. I probably can't begin to compare this to sensation returning to a paralysed limb, it felt good to feel blood and feeling rush into all those crevices where I felt nothing for ever so long. It felt good not to numb again. It felt good to see something that wasn't painted over, touched up or maybe even veneered with cynicism. Felt good to see a woman stand by her man and he, by her. Old fashioned, yes i know. But wow. Renee Zellweger makes a beautiful Mae Braddock. She's vulnerable, fragile yet incredibly strong. It felt good to feel so inspired. It felt good to see him make pudding out of Max Baer, this cheese-assed, cocky, big-bully, nasty weasel of an opponent, who bears a startling resemblance to a particularly difficult client. Felt excellent to see him being humbled. Made me believe in the concept of good guys. Aah! Fairytales and happy endings didn't have such moxie.
In my head, maybe, most of us are lost ‘cos we're missing that something to believe in factor. Our mothers believe in their marriages, their devotion to our dads, their faith in God, in propriety. Our dad's believe in their duty, in their self-importance, in their lineage, in what's best for us, in their dreams. What do we believe in? I think the only thing I've got unshakable faith in is Boredom. As a staunch, card-carrying believer of God, I'm not saying this for added effect or coolness. It's just that I know whatever the status quo happens to be, Boredom will soon settle like dust on it and turn it a shade dull. Cynical? Yeah. But while I watched this movie, I thought, it doesn't necessarily have to be the case.
Please watch it if you haven't seen it already.

4 comments:

$$ said...

After reading such a review, who will not want to watch it?!

Rupe0705rtJ_Brobst said...

沒有友情,人生何樂?........................................

ParisH said...

與其爭取不可能得到的東西,不如善自珍惜運用自己所擁有的........................................

MissAnnThrope said...

i hope you did shal :)